Monday 12 December 2011

Poster.

For this portfolio I will bring together some of my ideas from photoshop and illustrater to create an original film poster for an existing film.  I chose The Rocky Horror Picture Show because I thought this film would be fun to manipulate because I had the opportunity and number of ideas to focus on the characters such as Brad and Janet, Rocky, or Dr Frank n Furter. However chosing him would have been an obvious choice and tried to stay away from the obvious symbols such as legs and suspenders and the typical red lips. I noticed these were the typical features of The Rocky Horror Picuture Show posters because I looked at exisiting posters for the film.First I started off by looking at existing pictures from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. In my poster I will include a title, a byline, the main image, and a quote.








An exisiting Rocky Horror poster did inspire me to come up with the concept of doing screen shots on my poster at points throughout the film and edit them in a 60's pop art style.







This existing Rocky Horror Poster then inspired me to edit the images I had found into a 60's pop art style and to develop my idea by create a montage.





To create this effect, I opened up my image into photoshop and made sure it was in RGB mode. To ensure this was the mode I went to menu-mode- RGB Colour. Next I made a duplicate layer. I then applied poster edges to my images by going to filter-artistic-poster edges. After adding the poster edges I experiemented with adjusting the brightness and contrast to emphasise certain detail in each image. The final stage to make it into the style of a 60's cartoon was to go to filter-artistic-cut out. Below are the results of this technique.
I then began to start experimenting with the allignment and proximity of images in my initial poster design by overlapping three selected images

I didn't like this poster design because it focused on something you'd expect for a Rocky Horror poster because the lips are the main focus and are well known to any Rocky Horror fan. For the development of my poster I then replaced the obvious image with an image of a character that might not be as well known as Frank n Furter or Brad and Janet. I did this because I wanted to play with the audiences expectations as to what they might see in a Rocky Horror Picture Show poster.

This poster experiments with the design principle of proximity and containment exploring the use of white and typographic spacing.  However in some cases this doesn't necessarily work aesthetically and in my case it looks rather plain for a poster. So to resolve this issue I placed an image of the castle/house from Rocky Horror in the background and changed the opacity bringing the images from the film to the front so they stand out and attract the audiences attention.


This is my finished poster, by adding the background it has improved my design showing that the use of white spacing doesn't always produce an effective design.






























                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment